Saturday, September 02, 2006

Labor day, cfl bulbs, star wars comparison

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!
In the last post, I linked to a story about Wal-Mart pushing compact fluorescent bulbs to their customers. Shortly after that, I ran across this story about ten reasons why CFLs will change the world. I've been using a few (older ones) for a couple years now, so I decided to start switching out my other incandescent bulbs for CFLs.
Sure enough, our Wal-Mart had bulb displays in other areas (like the grocery side of the store), but they had regular incandescents right along with the CFLs; how does that sway customers to the CFL?
As an aside, our Wal-Mart has 20 some checkout lanes, but I never see more than 5 manned, so I always have to wait in line. That is, unless I use the self-checkout. But the thing I don't understand is that usually half or more of the self-checkouts are also turned off. What's the deal? Did the self-checker call in sick? Is this the case at all Wal-Marts? (I've never seen the checkout lanes more than half staffed at our Shopko or K-Mart either.)

Anyway, here's a time waster for you this weekend: This month, the 2004 Special Edition of Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV) is being released on DVD with the original 1977 version as a bonus disc. Here is a scene by scene comparison showing the differences. Many are obvious, but there are a lot that are subtle.

1 comment:

Kahnman said...

Here's another site I'd seen when the 2004 movies were released that listed all the changes. There should be links to all three original movies on there somewhere. It just amazes me what tiny details they changed. I wouldn't think anyone by Lucas would even care about the majority of them. That Greedo scene is just the most awkward thing I've ever seen.

I don't know why WalMart has so many checkout lanes either. There will be employees standing around, and lines 8 miles long, but they don't open up more. I hate stores, so I shop online.