Monday, October 02, 2006

Burn that book!

Good day to you!
Parent asking school to ban "Fahrenheit 451" from reading course. He's suggesting replacing it with books about Irony and Not Getting The Point.
OK, I made that last sentence up, but still you have to appreciate the request to remove a book that is about, among other things, a world where reading books is banned and thought is discouraged. Maybe the parent misunderstood and thought they'd be watching "Fahrenheit 911" at school.
I think "Fahrenheit 451" is a great read and gets you thinking about freedom of speech and expression, critical thought, and even technology and apathy. I do understand that it may not be appropriate for any age, but can't see how it would be much of a problem for high school sophomores. They had some religious based complaints as well, but I think that if reading a book will do that much damage to your beliefs, then maybe you don't really understand your own beliefs that well. So, I'm not sure that this was a very enlightened request. Especially considering this quote:
"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read "Fahrenheit 451." "The words don't need to be brought out in class. I want to get the book taken out of the class."


Link of the day:

Better Fonts - 10,000 free fonts. Everyone needs more fonts.

2 comments:

M R J said...

Hi there. I remember reading that book way back in high school and I thought that it was a really great book to get some one thinking on things. Obviously this guy who complained has the IQ of a carrot and doesn't read anything other than the funny papers.

Brian Whitmarsh said...

Thanks for the post. It was in the article, but I read another good point in another blog. The girl (and another girl) were allowed to read an alternate book for the class. Yet, the father was still trying to get it banned. I think you are taking it beyond protecting your beliefs when you are trying to prevent anyone from reading it.