Sunday, October 30, 2005

Bed Sheet Orientation

This week at work, for some reason the debate of which way the top sheet should be placed on the bed (pattern side up or pattern side down) was raised. I, as a Print Side Upper, was baffled because I never knew that some people put the sheet print side down (after all, motels and such don't do that to my knowledge).

The only argument the Print Side Downers gave that was at least somewhat compelling was that some sheets have the pattern upside-down on the big hem. This is because (apparently) you put the pattern side facing down, then when the blankets and comforter are on, you fold the whole thing over at the top; thus exposing the pattern side, right side up. OK, after finding several Internet sites that support this, I was ready to change sides (flip the sheets, as it were). But, now I see that my sheets do not have the pattern upside down on the big hem. So if I were to follow this, the pattern would appear upside down when I folded it over. Dilema.

I've decided that sheet orientation is divined by the sheets. Pattern upside down on the big hem makes you a Print Side Downer. Pattern right side up on the big hem makes you a Print Side Upper. Solid color or non-directional pattern means you are Bisheetual, and can go either way.

I still don't know if I buy the whole fold-over on the finished bed, because basically the sheets are your bed's underwear, and exposing them is like a teen wearing his baggy pants way too low.

As a interesting related aside, while researching this I ran across this BBC article stating that not making your bed may actually be healthier. Take that Martha Stewart!

2 comments:

Kahnman said...

My mom would always make the beds with the print side in, and also would fold over the top. It always drove me nuts, but I'll make the bed now with whatever way the sheet is facing because I'm too lazy to flip it over.

Brian Whitmarsh said...

As far as I can remember, my mom always had print side up. Now, my bed has disposable sheets, like the tear off paper thing you sit on at the doctor's office.